Saturday, October 3, 2020

Me too Dr. Ford

 Published on my Facebook 2 years ago during the Kavanaugh hearings. I think, since the Republicans are going back on their word and their so-called principles and trying to cram another judge down the American public's throat 5 weeks before an election, it's important for us to revisit who the last nominee was.

I've been formulating my thoughts about Mr. Trump's cruelty and insensitivity yesterday regarding Dr. Ford and the jeers of approval from his supporters when he criticized her. I didn't think this man could shock me anymore than he already has but, here he is with yet another unfathomable display of hubris.
As a survivor of a similar sexual assault I can say with certainty that I remember every smell, every touch, every sound of the night it happened. I remember the look in the eyes, the faces, the laughter...the walls and the darkness of the room. I remember the hallway, the pattern on the bedspread, the remote feeling of being outside my body watching it all happen...I remember every detail because it never goes away. In fact, it sneaks up on you like an insidious ghost, haunting you in the most inopportune moments...and you're right back in that place, barely a teenager, surrounded by older boys having "fun"..."boys will be boys" especially in the privileged world of private schools. Even writing this and contemplating posting it on Facebook is filling me with the same sense of shame and embarrassment I felt then...but I'm doing it anyway because if I don't speak out who will?
I am not the only victim, I can think of numerous women in the same social circle that had similar experiences.
Know what I don't remember? The way I got home, what I was wearing, the exact date or the exact address of the house where it happened. I don't remember who was at the party except for the boys that assaulted me. I don't remember the day of the week it was. I don't remember really anything except the assault itself...
I haven't spoken about this incident, ever. I never told my friends what happened in that room because I was so ashamed and I felt like it was my fault. But the next week everyone in the private school community knew because the boys had taken pictures and posted them up in the hallway at their school. It was a something to brag about, and something they were socially validated for...noone sanctioned the boys but I recieved my fair share of social ostracism. It affected the rest of my high school years and still haunts me today.
I am Christine Blasey Ford...and so are millions of women in this country.
So shame on you Mr. Trump for trivializing the impact that these events have on women. And shame on those who would doubt the memory of Dr. Ford. She's telling the truth, just as I've told you the truth above.
Any Senator that votes to confirm Brett Kavanaugh is making a statement that they don't think our experiences are valid and we WILL vote them out.
#BelieveSurvivors #metoo #StopKavanaugh

No comments:

Post a Comment