Wednesday, March 4, 2020

This is why I'll support Joe Biden

It's no secret that I want to see a woman in the White House, and Elizabeth Warren has always been one of my choices to be first...
-
I am also a realist. If this race comes down to Biden vs. Sanders... I 100% am all in for Joe!
-
Here's why:
1. Joe Biden is sincerely one of the most compassionate human beings to have ever have held office. For real, he gives out his personal phone number to people he meets struggling with grief and anyone who can be that vulnerable in front of thousands of people possesses a level of humanity that few of us are brave enough to embrace. He genuinely cares about people. Whatever your views on his policy positions, this is a fact you can't dismiss

2. He is sensible. For instance, he talks about abolishing fracking in context with preserving jobs. He wants to invest in alternative energy and jobs before taking away people's livelihood.

*Some of you may say that that may be too little too late...to that point I ask you:

*How would you feel if somebody came in with an executive order that completely abolished your source of income and all the industry in the area you live?

*How would it feel to you look your child in the face and say "sorry I can't feed you today because the president decided to take away my job because he/she says it's bad" ?

Time after time Joe Biden's record shows that he puts the wellbeing of the people first...
And before you bring up the crime bill I'll say this:
He voted for and crafted legislation that we now find problematic. But, like literature, we cannot judge laws from the lens of the present without considering the view of the past.
His views have evolved, as I hope anyone's would after 20 or 30 years of more experience.
In fact, if someone's views are exactly the same throughout the entire course of their lives, I find that even more problematic. I know that some of my views and beliefs have evolved as I've lived in the world...I would hope our leaders would have the same human experience.

3. He's experienced. I shouldn't have to explain the value of having a leader in the Oval that knows the job. Especially after the mess cheeto has made.

4. He has the support of the Democratic electorate, particularly a group I greatly respect; the African American constituency. We (white and white passing) discount the needs of POC while we have cerebral debates (and often base arguments) about "values". Meanwhile, black and brown people, LGBTQ people, women and children suffer at the hands of Republicans who would just assume return to Jim Crow, strip away marriage equality, and make women vessels of the state in the name of "god".
It's time that we put the needs of others first and respect their voices.

5. Joe Biden has relationships. We live in Portland, Oregon and the majority of the people that I know work in tech and other industry sales: we all know the value of relationships; of being able to make a phone call and, on a personal level, have a discussion and come to an agreement.
Joe Biden has those relationships and he can leverage them to get things done.

*If we want legislation that expands Medicaid, that gives student loan relief, that expands preschool options for all of our children, that protects reproductive rights and lgbtq rights, that protects unions and the right to collective bargaining WE NEED SOMEBODY IN THE OVAL THAT HAS RELATIONSHIPS!

We may take back the House and the Senate with Joe Biden at the top of the ticket, but that doesn't mean that Republicans are going to cease to exist. We need somebody who can go to a table with the Republican leadership and can convince them to enact legislation that protects the best interest of the American people. That takes relationships.

More than anyone, Hillary Clinton supporters know the pain and agony of disappointment. We know how hard it is to watch your candidate lose and lose unfairly. our candidate was singularly the most qualified candidate to ever run for the United States presidency! She was attacked on every front but she still persisted! And then, because more than 50% of this country didn't vote, because Russians interfered in our elections, and Donald Trump was able to tap into underbelly of support but nobody saw coming she was robbed of an election she won.

I know that a lot of Sanders supporters feel like their candidate is losing unfairly and I am truly sorry that they have to experience those feelings. That doesn't change numbers, it doesn't change math, and it doesn't change the voices of the millions of people that have cast their votes.

We still have a lot of primaries between now and the convention. I am still holding out hope for a a bright capable amazing accomplished woman named Elizabeth Warren at the top of the ticket. But should she drop out or lose the nomination, I will do everything that I can to get Joe Biden elected.
I encourage everybody reading this post to join me, with love and compassion and the spirit of decency. Let's quit infighting, let's quit being hostile and let's take back our Republic!

P.S. I'm posting this to explain and advocate my eventual support for Joe Biden. If you want to know why I won't support Bernie Sanders, there are many public posts on my Facebook page and you can read all about it there. I'm not going to argue in the comments of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment